The former President of the Nigerian Senate, Bukola Saraki, on Thursday, officially declared his bid for the number one seat in Nigeria on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party.
Below are some of the promises he made during his declaration speech:
- Enforcement of compulsory basic education and improvement in the quality of teaching in all public schools.
- Compulsory health insurance coverage and increase enrolment from the current seven per cent to 50 per cent in the first two years.
- Protection of lives and property. Ensure that men and women in uniform are well-trained, are well-paid and are well-equipped.
- Raise the revenue from the non-oil sectors to the same level as currently earned from oil.
- Ensure strict compliance with the rule of law and guarantee consequences for crime.
- Train one million youths in technical and vocational skills each year.
- Deliver half a million affordable housing units every year to low-income earners and eliminate urban slums.
- Investment in skills in cloud computing, data analytics, programming and other such in-demand skills to drive innovation and competitiveness among youths.
- Establish the Nigeria Creative Industry Initiatives for entertainment, fashion or other creative businesses.
- Ensure universities and higher education institutions are competitive and well-funded.